About me

My photo
I am a mother, a new grandmother, and a teacher. But whatever happens in my life, I keep sewing. I have worked as a political communicator and now as a teacher in my formal life. I have also written extensively on sewing. I have been a frequent contributor and contributing editor of Threads magazine and the Australian magazine Dressmaking with Stitches. My first book Sew.. the garment-making book of knowledge will be published in May 2018 and is available for pre-order from Amazon


Follow by Email

Follow me on Instagram


Saturday, July 5, 2014

This crazy life

I have decided to do a post a day this week, signifying my return to blogland.

I have been waiting for things to slow down around here but have more or less accepted that isn't going to happen, so here I come.

Back in.

Of course posting more frequently does mean that there will not be much that is that edifying most days, so reader beware.


Today was Hurricane Arthur in Nova Scotia, not much of a storm really unless you were a tree - they seemed to have spent most of the last 24 hours being blown in half and back again.

120,000 without power and this included my daughter and her family so they came over.

My daughter is three weeks near the end of her pregnancy and the little girls are 2 and 4. We had power, we had ways to cook, we had chocolate cake left over from Uncle Benny's birthday party the night before.

The men watched the tennis and the soccer in the basement and the rest of us spent time upstairs debating, with phone consults to my sister who is an ex labour room nurse, if the nausea and pain was a) early labour b) not early labour c) the result of the men being in front of the TV d) the result of a 2 and 4 year old stuck in the house all day e) if she went into labour today if that meant we had to call the baby Arthur.

In the end we decided that sitting on an exercise ball was probably a good idea, as was feeding the kids snacks and letting them watch the Wizard of Oz on my bed in front of the other TV, until we realized that green faced witch is pretty scary.

Then one of the men came up to make hamburgers. We didn't have any newspaper to start the coals since I have just recycled, so I got out some old sewing patterns of things I am definitely never going to ever make since I have had those patterns for 25 years. 

So this is what the afternoon looked like:

Remember feeling like that? BTW I made the top and pants for the first pregnancy and they still are going strong, which is more than I can say for my daughter at this moment.

Miss Scarlett trying to convince us that we should sew. Not today kiddo. The baby toys on the floor are ones that a baby left behind and Miss Daisy now throws around which thrills me since they told me puppy mill moms never learn to play. Well in this house they do. Incidentally on the chair in the background is a quilt the girls got out that I made for their mom (the one sitting on the exercise ball). I am a terrible quilter and went into labour before the binding was finished. With the sanity typical of women who are on their way to lose their minds in the labour room I refused to leave the house until I had finished slip stitching the binding right up until the contractions were 5 minutes apart. One of my finer moments.

Now dogs don't care if there is a Hurricane, even 15 pound dogs who get blown around. So Miss Daisy and I went out in the yard and I took these shots of her. Owing to the wind conditions and her being half terrier the shots are blurry due to movement by the subject.

I would liked to get some smiling running around shots but she was too quick for me and only stopped when I called her name, probably hoping it was lunch. She has filled out and no longer has vertebrae you feel poking through her skin. 

We go on three walks a day at least and the rest of the time she keeps herself busy being six inches behind me every step I take. I realize I am her first and only person she has ever had a relationship with and seems to have decided if she sticks with me she will be fine. Having her branch out to feel as comfortable with other members of the family will take some time but she is getting there.

My wonderful nephew who is such a sweet boy summed it up perfectly "Daisy is learning to be a real dog and every day more and more of that comes out."


So signing off tonight I will leave you with my favourite picture of her.

We got one of those little armchairs for the girls when they were little and all on her own Daisy found it.

And here she is.

At home in her own house:


Donna W said...

Hope Mom to be soon is a new Mom. Sweet pictures of Daisy. I have been watching news of Arthur. Bad to be without power if it gets hot again. Take cate

Alison said...

Every time you post about Daisy I feel so happy that you have given her this second chance. Please keep posting updates cos I love seeing them. :)

Anonymous said...

Miss Daisy is absolutely gorgeous in her little bed!!
Hope all goes well with the birth and yes, you will be very busy.Love to hear all about it.

Judi Pinkham said...

Hoping these last 3 weeks or whatever portion left of them goes quickly for your daughter!

I love the pictures of Daisy and the last one made me teary eyed. Her chair now...like she's wrapped in arms of love. And she is.

Barbara said...

The picture of Daisy in the red chair warmed my heart and brought a smile to my face.

Mary said...

Miss Daisy looks very happy! Keep us posted o her progress.