This is our third year in this house, in this neighbourhood in Florida. We will be back next year. We're so lucky our work, our scheming, and the internet lets this happen.
The first year I came with every should-do project in my sewing room and all my Christmas presents to make.
See previous post. What was I thinking?
The second year I brought every item of summer clothing I owned, which included so many dresses I am embarrassed to write it down, and a huge bag of junky books.
This year I brought more shorts and tops and some of my to-do list of sewing.
Next year I am bringing:
- my serger and two sewing machines
- Notions, tools, a good iron
three, twoone pieces of fabric. I can mail order in everything I want on the day. This is a sort of get up and see how you feel place.
- Only enough yarn for a pair of socks on the way down and on the way back. This year I brought about 47 balls of yarn and my husband is already stressing about how he can explain to customs these are not declarable purchases - his wife was just delusional enough to think she could knit all this up when she should have remembered she was here to golf.
- Two dresses only for the going out occasions and more golf shirts.
- The password for the library e-books
- A printed copy of "Snakes of Florida identified." Running around looking for the iPad when some 5 foot visitor slithers into the yard is not cool.
This is also a good place to give a shout out to my very favourite of all the so-called assistants I have worked with.
Like all good assistants she told me exactly what to do, she was always smart, and she was always right. She kept me out of trouble and she taught me a lot.
I worked for her.
I worked for her.
We wore matching polka dot rain hats (we both bought them without knowing the other person had done the same) and considered ourselves the best undiscovered power team in town.
She has gone on to a better job than I ever had and I am very proud of her.
I am also very proud of what she has done with her life.
After some time of wanting to travel she decided to stop waiting for anyone and to do it herself. She has become a world traveler, food blogger and photographer of excellence and has written a great list of things to take with you when you travel here.
What can you say about a girl who travels with a silk sleeping bag liner so even the most budget hotel feels comfortable?
That she is a real pro.