Sewing with less stress back cover
- I am a mother, a grandmother, and a teacher. But whatever happens in my life, I keep sewing. I have worked as a political communicator and now as a teacher in my formal life. I have also written extensively on sewing. I have been a frequent contributor and contributing editor of Threads magazine and the Australian magazine Dressmaking with Stitches. My book Sew.. the garment-making book of knowledge was published in May 2018 and is available for pre-order from Amazon
SIGN UP BELOW FOR BARBARA EMODI'S MONTHLY NEWSLETTER
SIGN UP TO FOLLOW BARBARA EMODI'S BLOG "SEWING ON TH EDGE"
Wednesday, April 23, 2014
I have been thinking about this a while now. Just when women start to breathe and lead lives of their own defining, someone somewhere decides they need to be slowed down.
Often these someones are fashion designers, who of course are just expressing larger themes.
In particular the shoes so many women try to wear these days seem to prove this. I mean a girl just can't keep up, all day on her feet, staggering behind in 5 inch heels.
When I see shoes like this, I think really? These are just designed to trip you up. I mean I love pretty shoes but do these look like they belong on the feet of someone who has worked to be comfortable in her own skin, on can stand on her own two feet?
Which may be the point.
What do you think of this?
Posted by Barbara at 8:59 AM
Monday, April 21, 2014
- No real sewing to show because I have been knitting
- Unless you count online fabric ordering
- I do
- The knitting is going well
- Once you unravel a sweater it is easier to knit the second time around
- They aren't kidding about that gauge stuff
- Went for a drive past Cape Canaveral
- Which reminds me
- If there is one thing that drives me crazy it is outer space
- Shooting off into space
- To me just one more example of a bunch of men starting a new project before they have cleaned up after the last one
- And aliens
- I mean really, who has the time?
- I don't care if my grandmother claimed some of her relatives in Alberta were kidnapped by aliens
- Of course being her relatives they gave them back
- Let me tell you too if it was one of my kids who had signed up for this one way trip to Mars they would be in big trouble
- Big Trouble
- Ordered three yards of purple "scuba knit" from Fabricmart in the weekend sale
- Ever the optimist
- Am well aware that at my age I should be going for elegant and classic
- Black pants, white shirt, black cardigan
- However when I was upside down in the dentist's recliner a few weeks ago, hoping that TV didn't fall on my safety glasses, the hygienist said I looked sharp
- She was referring to my rose coloured dress that matched my, not surprisingly, rose coloured glasses
- If it came to a draw I think I will go with sharp
- Elegant and classic is being well handled elsewhere in say Manhattan and Paris
- Someone has to hold down the fort on home-made sharp at the dentist office and I am taking that one on
- Purple scuba knit might be pushing the luck of that particular envelope
- Article in the NY Times says that fewer folks are golfing these days
- They are figuring out how to change that
- Bringing the fees down from a week's groceries might help
- Except in Florida where anyone can, and does, golf
- One idea is 15 inch holes and you kick the ball not hit it
- Listen golf is hard
- Some things are hard
- Lapped zippers are hard
- Fitting pants is hard
- Reading knitting instructions right the first time is hard
- Really hard
- Raising kids who don't want to go to Mars is particularly hard
- Looking sharp upside down at the dentists when the dentist is next door from where you had the dog put down a few days before is hard
- It requires conscious colour coordination
- Thing is it is OK if things are hard
- Not every thing can be a skim
- I am riding my bike every day every day
- Also hard
- My husband has noticed
- The stagger into the door
- I thought if he came with me that would be support
- He thought if he surprised me with a put-it-together motor that would be support
- Cultural differences
- Might be dealing with an alien
- What do you think?
Posted by Barbara at 12:06 PM