- It has been a while since I sewed a Butterick pattern
- Shapes and end result were great
- Where did these instructions come from?
- Remind me when I am boss of the world to ban "for knits" patterns
- With "for wovens" instructions
- Stay-stitching, hems that are basted, pressed, trimmed, finished basted, then pressed, then topstitching two parallel rows of straight stitches
- Twin-needles anyone?
- Cover hem?
- Serged seams?
- This is getting tiring
- No wonder new sewers or any sewer are buying the best indies with 20 pages of good, realistic instructions
- You got to keep up folks
- I try to do that myself
- If my 90 year old mother is on Linkedin why not?
- (she's down as "looking for new opportunities")
- My latest is trying to learn how to apply false eyelashes
- You can buy a lot of fabric for the price of extensions
- I figured DIY for $5 from the Superstore was a better idea
- After all I can make bound buttonholes
- How hard can it be
- Yeah well try making bound buttonholes with one eye glued shut
- Another trick
- Don't put them on upside down so they curl into your eye
- Fairly disappointing when you are going for glamour
- I am going to be so ready for Halloween
- About to gear up for the costume requests
- Trouble is they change their minds the afternoon before
- Last year that was after the feathers were stitched onto the owl cape
- And the owl decided to be a princess like last year instead
- My son-in-law is great at Halloween
- One year the kids were the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe
- The middle child burst into tears
- "Why am I wearing a stupid box with drawers painted on it?"
- So next year she got to be a racoon
- With claws I glued to some wool gloves
- I am thinking of going as the Cat in the Hat
- After all I am the one who says we need to clean this up before your mom comes home
- Currently babysitting a Golden Retriever
- He's having a great time
- So far we are down two pounds of butter, a small dog bed, a package of hamburger buns
- And the pumpkin pie before it got served for Thanksgiving
- What I have learned
- Golden retrievers have heads that are counter height
- Tomorrow I am cutting out a shirt for my son-in-law
- A summer shirt he has been waiting for since before we started covering the tomatoes at night
- Oh well
- Then I am cutting out for myself
- Stay tuned for trial versions of a series of T-shirt patterns
- Because next weekend I am going on a three day sewing retreat
- Same place as last year in the hall of a local yacht club
- So excited
- Nothing but sewing people doing nothing but sewing
- No more trying to pretend that you are really interested in anything else
- It's my birthday next weekend and I can think of no better gift to myself
- Don't you think so?
- I am a mother, a grandmother, and a teacher. But whatever happens in my life, I keep sewing. I have worked as a political communicator and now as a teacher in my formal life. I have also written extensively on sewing. I have been a frequent contributor and contributing editor of Threads magazine and the Australian magazine Dressmaking with Stitches. My book Sew.. the garment-making book of knowledge was published in May 2018 and is available for pre-order from Amazon
SIGN UP BELOW FOR BARBARA EMODI'S MONTHLY NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to Barbara Emodi's monthly Newsletter
SIGN UP TO FOLLOW BARBARA EMODI'S BLOG "SEWING ON TH EDGE"
Follow by Email