- It has been a while since I sewed a Butterick pattern
- Shapes and end result were great
- Where did these instructions come from?
- Remind me when I am boss of the world to ban "for knits" patterns
- With "for wovens" instructions
- Stay-stitching, hems that are basted, pressed, trimmed, finished basted, then pressed, then topstitching two parallel rows of straight stitches
- Twin-needles anyone?
- Cover hem?
- Serged seams?
- This is getting tiring
- No wonder new sewers or any sewer are buying the best indies with 20 pages of good, realistic instructions
- You got to keep up folks
- I try to do that myself
- If my 90 year old mother is on Linkedin why not?
- (she's down as "looking for new opportunities")
- My latest is trying to learn how to apply false eyelashes
- You can buy a lot of fabric for the price of extensions
- I figured DIY for $5 from the Superstore was a better idea
- After all I can make bound buttonholes
- How hard can it be
- Yeah well try making bound buttonholes with one eye glued shut
- Another trick
- Don't put them on upside down so they curl into your eye
- Fairly disappointing when you are going for glamour
- I am going to be so ready for Halloween
- About to gear up for the costume requests
- Trouble is they change their minds the afternoon before
- Last year that was after the feathers were stitched onto the owl cape
- And the owl decided to be a princess like last year instead
- My son-in-law is great at Halloween
- One year the kids were the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe
- The middle child burst into tears
- "Why am I wearing a stupid box with drawers painted on it?"
- So next year she got to be a racoon
- With claws I glued to some wool gloves
- I am thinking of going as the Cat in the Hat
- After all I am the one who says we need to clean this up before your mom comes home
- Currently babysitting a Golden Retriever
- He's having a great time
- So far we are down two pounds of butter, a small dog bed, a package of hamburger buns
- And the pumpkin pie before it got served for Thanksgiving
- What I have learned
- Golden retrievers have heads that are counter height
- Tomorrow I am cutting out a shirt for my son-in-law
- A summer shirt he has been waiting for since before we started covering the tomatoes at night
- Oh well
- Then I am cutting out for myself
- Stay tuned for trial versions of a series of T-shirt patterns
- Because next weekend I am going on a three day sewing retreat
- Same place as last year in the hall of a local yacht club
- So excited
- Nothing but sewing people doing nothing but sewing
- No more trying to pretend that you are really interested in anything else
- It's my birthday next weekend and I can think of no better gift to myself
- Don't you think so?
Sewing with less stress back cover
- I am a mother, a grandmother, and a teacher. But whatever happens in my life, I keep sewing. I have worked as a political communicator and now as a teacher in my formal life. I have also written extensively on sewing. I have been a frequent contributor and contributing editor of Threads magazine and the Australian magazine Dressmaking with Stitches. My book Sew.. the garment-making book of knowledge was published in May 2018 and is available for pre-order from Amazon
SIGN UP BELOW FOR BARBARA EMODI'S MONTHLY NEWSLETTER
SIGN UP TO FOLLOW BARBARA EMODI'S BLOG "SEWING ON TH EDGE"