I am still deep in company land so this will be brief. Here are some shots of my latest shirt for a son, this one for my boy in NYC.
This pattern continues to impress with a few modifications. The buttonhole markings for the collar are far too high into the collar - the ones you see in RTW are right into the point, in some right into the top stitching.
I have also settled on this method for doing a collar on a stand, more steps but each is more or less a straight seam and can be fixed before you commit to the next stage. No fancy sewing or rolling or twisting - this method suits my style of sewing best.
Here we go:
- I am a mother, a grandmother, and a teacher. But whatever happens in my life, I keep sewing. I have worked as a political communicator and now as a teacher in my formal life. I have also written extensively on sewing. I have been a frequent contributor and contributing editor of Threads magazine and the Australian magazine Dressmaking with Stitches. My book Sew.. the garment-making book of knowledge was published in May 2018 and is available for pre-order from Amazon
Wednesday, August 20, 2014
Monday, August 18, 2014
- Wall to wall family visits this month
- Love the company, wish some of this happened in mid winter
- Seeing more of the dishwasher than the sewing machine
- Have resorted to delegating some of the food prep to a two and four year old
- Results as expected
- I think trees have souls
- At least the ones in my front yard
- Every night I take Daisy out in the yard and pat the moss patch on the one in front of the window
- It knows
- I know it does
- The shirts are taking off
- Have orders for five more for various men in the family
- Who would have guessed?
- In life you are never caught up
- Figure that out and you have a lot figured out
- Am making a list of most worn and most wish I had garments for this season
- So far my eye shade that blocks out the various little device lights in my bedroom is #1
- Silk tops not so much
- Do you know that potato flowers are the colour of the skins of potatoes?
- File that one away
- I have plants in the front yard with purple flowers
- Don't ask
- Need to go to New York and buy fabric
- Every once in a while you run across someone who doesn't know anything about a subject
- But wants to explain it to you anyway
- Little Billy looks exactly like his grandfather Billy
- That's pretty nice
- Kind of a life bonus
- In the fall I will have time to sit in my sewing room and make seams
- But then I will miss them all
Posted by Barbara at 8:31 PM