Tutorials

About me

My photo
I am a mother, a new grandmother, and a teacher. But whatever happens in my life, I keep sewing. I have worked as a political communicator and now as a teacher in my formal life. I have also written extensively on sewing. I have been a frequent contributor and contributing editor of Threads magazine and I write a monthly humour/sewing column for the Australian magazine Dressmaking with Stitches. My first book Sew.. the garment-making book of knowledge will be published in May 2018 and is available for pre-order from Amazonhttps://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=barbara+emodi&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abarbara+emodi

Follow by Email

Follow me on Instagram

Instagram

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Another shirt from McCalls 6613

I am still deep in company land so this will be brief. Here are some shots of my latest shirt for a son, this one for my boy in NYC.

This pattern continues to impress with a few modifications. The buttonhole markings for the collar are far too high into the collar - the ones you see in RTW are right into the point, in some right into the top stitching.

I have also settled on this method for doing a collar on a stand, more steps but each is more or less a straight seam and can be fixed before you commit to the next stage. No fancy sewing or rolling or twisting - this method suits my style of sewing best.


Here we go:







6 comments:

Nana said...

The shirt is looking very nice. I have tried in the past to do the button collar and was never successful. You are doing great and the pattern fit looks nice.

wendy said...

Great fitting shirt and I love the fabric. The pattern matching on the pocket is spectacular!

SewRuthie said...

Very cool shirt. I have no plans to make shirts for my dad, brother or boyfriend. They seem to be coping with the decision.

Judi Pinkham said...

Love that shirt! He's a mighty handsome guy!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice, very, very nice!
Mary in Thailand

Mary said...

I didn't even SEE the pocket. Thanks for the collar info. Beautiful shirt and handsome son :-)