In all the discussion about how to hem knits I neglected to mention another solution, and a new one, which is a stretchy sewing thread - a new one from Coats called Eloflex.
I didn't include mention in this in my hemming series because, until today, news of this new product slipped right past me.
Sometimes events happen in the world I miss, I don't know how it happens, but it does.
I had one of my lovely all day sewing days with my friends from the sewing guild today and my friend Pat brought this thread to me and let me feel it. It certainly was stretchy if you pulled on it, strong and didn't break.
If in fact it will allow us to sew a good simple seam or hem in knits on our standard machines with a standard straight stitch (which being a minimally active stitch by definition is the least likely to cause a hem to wave) this in fact will be a game changer.
Right now, as in this very minute, I am at my daughter's babysitting as opposed to at the fabric store. However it is my intention is to run down and pick some of this stuff up tomorrow and do full on research type lab test on it.
Expect that report to be released soon afterwards.
Sign up for my weekly sewing newsletter or send my a comment or question
Sign up for my free monthly sewing newsletter
- I am a mother, a grandmother, and a teacher. But whatever happens in my life, I keep sewing. I have worked as a political communicator and now as a teacher in my formal life. I have also written extensively on sewing. I have been a frequent contributor and contributing editor of Threads magazine and the Australian magazine Dressmaking with Stitches. My book Sew.. the garment-making book of knowledge was published in May 2018 and is available for pre-order from Amazon
Saturday, November 18, 2017
Thursday, November 16, 2017
- My ham fisted attempts to class up this blog continue
- See I added my name to the blog title on this page
- Won't affect searching or finding me
- So actually why did I do it?
- Good question
- Probably because there are sewing schools, workshops, and other places
- Called sewing on the edge
- And I thought it was my idea
- Figured if I added my name I would distinguish myself
- Name like Emodi you can be pretty sure the field won't be crowded
- Names that were once made up are good that way
- Baby steps in the user friendly department
- Bear with me
- Being sewing instead
- Made 11 somethings for Christmas gifts
- Blog goes a little dark in terms of pictures this time of year
- The relatives all read in case I talk about them
- Not much of a production sewer
- Over and over, how do quilters do it?
- Got a big Tilley hat in the mail today
- Had a chunk of skin cancer removed from the side of my nose a few weeks go
- All good
- Anyway figured from now on I would go big or stay home
- Comes with a lifetime guarantee told my spouse as a way of deflecting the how much did it cost question
- Of course it does he said
- They only sell hats like that to old people
- You don't see them offering lifetime guarantees to two-year-olds
- Time that man called it a day I think
- Pretty sure my niece is now dating my son-in-law's nephew
- Welcome to Nova Scotia
- Which we will be leaving some time after Christmas
- Going to Austin Texas and then California I think
- Got to do some site visits to make sure the kids don't need buttons sewn on or dish cloths crocheted
- Pretty sure they aren't taking care of this themselves
- Any fabric stores I shouldn't miss west of say Tennessee?
- Tons of flannelette to cut out in the next two days
- Now there's a fabric
- Dream to sew and gets stiffer with wear
- However if it's for gifts that won't be my problem
- Think about it
- All other fabrics soften over time
- Not flannelette
- Good old prairie material, much like myself
- Probably would go nicely with the hat
- Little Billy is with me tomorrow
- He'll help me cut
- Working together on new Batman jammies to replace the ones he trimmed up himself
- By the way
- Did you ever notice that all kids can tell you right away what their favourite colour is
- And want to know yours
- Why don't adults talk about things like that?
- What would cocktail parties be like if we replaced what do you do?
- With what is your favourite colour?
- Or we introduced ourselves, I was 64 at my birthday party
- Might be more interesting
- Best wishes to those of you doing holiday sewing
- May it not be in velvet
- May you not scorch it at 11 p.m.
- May you not have to sew multiples
- May the easy-to-sew pattern actually be easy
- And may you get it done early enough to still have time to sew for yourself too