Flushed with the success of the Magic Skirt I detoured myself for a stop at the fabric store at the bottom of the street yesterday in search of some decent stretch lace to use for a fancier version of this skirt.
I like all the lace yardage I see around for fall.
I thought it might not be a bad idea to have something in the can in case my life gets unexpectedly more glamorous.
Of course all the lace sitting out for bridal season was not stretchy at all, and this pattern requires that, but I did find some ends of cotton, wooly looking stretch lace marked down to about $5.00 a piece.
So I got those. I think they can be turned into some lace skirts that I could wear to work, which is a place I go to more often than out on the town:
The one on the left is actually more purple than pink in real life and there is a bit more black thread in the more cotton looking one on the right.
My plan now is to line both with black something but I am torn about what to use to do that.
Here are my thoughts:
1. Light weight black knit of some kind but that might stick to these textured knits and ride up. That's the kind of thing you don't discover until you are on the bus or stand up at a meeting.
2. Nothing. And wear a black slip under them. Which might ride up. Or might not.
3. Underline with black knit.
4. Underline with black slip like tricot.
I have a ton of work to do today so I am going to percolate this huge issue in the back of my mind.
What would you do if you were me?
- I am a mother, a new grandmother, and a teacher. But whatever happens in my life, I keep sewing. I have worked as a political communicator and now as a teacher in my formal life. I have also written extensively on sewing. I have been a frequent contributor and contributing editor of Threads magazine and I write a monthly humour/sewing column for the Australian magazine Dressmaking with Stitches. My first book Sew.. the garment-making book of knowledge will be published in May 2018 and is available for pre-order from Amazonhttps://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=barbara+emodi&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abarbara+emodi