- I have been sewing pajamas for daughter. She loves the last flannelette pair I made her, but that was last Christmas and those old red and green dots are looking tired. I am doing two pairs in spring prints, in flannelette still, in the hopes that these will be good outfits for her to wear around the house being morning sick. Least I can do.
- Why do we sew so many fancy patterns and outfits and neglect the nice simple projects like pajamas? Cotton flannelette is a dream to sew. I should be making some things like this for myself next.
- My DH is coming home in about 5 weeks after 17 months away on and off - carefully organized to include two Canadian winters I have noted. I can hardly wait. What do I miss most? Having someone to tell all my opinions too - even those times when he lies there in bed saying things like "I'm listening, it's just that I am resting my eyes."
- This last week I wanted to have him around to yell "if anyone shots me in the head and the bullet goes in one side and out the other, you better not go off into outer space."
- Outer space drives me crazy. I mean to me it is just another example of a bunch of men going off and starting something new when they haven't finished the first project. And what did going to the moon get us? Tang.
- Why when sewing makes me instantly happy and calm do I not find more time to do it? That is the big question of my life.
- In four weeks I am officially going part-time at my job, cutting my work load in half and hopefully teaching online courses only for one term a year. This will require a total wardrobe reconfiguration. That is the big issue for me.
- One of the things I will be doing is taking care of Miss Scarlett part-time, until my daughter goes on mat. leave and then again afterwards. A day or two a week, with time off for some vacations for me. The older I get the more I like time with younger people (which is why I like teaching) so this works for me. I have some Cat in the Hat print that I am going to turn into pillowcases.
- I did a big wardrobe purge this week and realized that a lot of the things I got rid of were trendy items I got sick of real quick. Style and fashion are different - I am going to try to focus on style.
- I am considering turning a large portion of my front lawn into a vegetable garden this summer. Why not? That's where the sun is. Why spend a summer fighting dandelions when I could be growing things? Have you ever had fresh celery? It is wonderful and not at all, not at all like the stuff you buy.
- I am going to start the summer versions of my white shirts, in between other projects. Going away in May and want some summer dresses done up first.
- I am a mother, a new grandmother, and a teacher. But whatever happens in my life, I keep sewing. I have worked as a political communicator and now as a teacher in my formal life. I have also written extensively on sewing. I have been a frequent contributor and contributing editor of Threads magazine and the Australian magazine Dressmaking with Stitches. My first book Sew.. the garment-making book of knowledge will be published in May 2018 and is available for pre-order from Amazon
Saturday, March 12, 2011
Saturday night grab bag
I have had a lot on the old plate recently but feel like doing a random update:
Posted by Barbara at 8:39 PM