Wednesday, January 28, 2009

SWAP jacket project



















































































I am sort of informally doing a SWAP this year although I haven't had time to get a thread or storyboard going on SG, sewing it is pretty much my focus and goal. I love the rules this year to make things you would actually wear, a novel concept for me some days, so I am proceeding in my own heavily-distracted way.

I have had a nice rayon double-knit lurking around for a while now and I decided to make a jacket-type thing that was long enough to wear over my Ottobre tunic style top and had sleeves loose enough for the gathered wrists of my tops. I found a pattern in the same issue for something called a "mohair cardigan" that seemed about right, even though it had a slight dropped shoulder that I haven't made in a while.

I got worried though that I would end up with something really boring like a grey lab coat so I experimented with some coverhem top stitching with the serged stitch out on the right side and a variegated black to grey thread. And considering that I was going on what to my middle-aged mind was on a techno trend, I used giant snaps for closure. Because my hand-sewn snaps can be messy I dropped my feed-dogs and stitched these on by machine.

The snaps are cool, and they do add a nice weight to the front of a knit jacket, but you have to live with the fact that there are definite dimples on the right side and it does sort of clash with the top-stitching.

But this was an experiment right?

Also as per pattern I bound the back neckline with a strip of rayon single knit.

I may have over-done the decorative effects, which really are not my style (although I did go through my Jacket Jazz vest stage years ago, till I admitted I felt silly wearing all that machine technique) and I hope I haven't gone back there with this one.

Will I wear this jacket? Sure, it's comfortable and I am quite taken by the giant snaps.

I realize my photos are pretty random, but I wanted to show stitch detail, the snaps from all sides and the inside of the neckline. I have tried to bind a neck seam like this before, in a woven it can be hard to haul the fabric over to cover the seam, but it is so easy in a knit. I bound the whole seam and then flipped the facings to the right side.

I will try to get a picture of this on me in the daylight.

2 comments:

Cennetta said...

Barbara, There is nothing labcoat-ish about this jacket. The top stitching and the snaps makes it casual chic. Definitely a wearable garment.

Barbara said...

Thanks Cennetta, to do it over again I would have done the snaps or the topstitching, but it was an experiment and I tried two new details, so that's a good thing.